Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Hi there!  We had our Dye Day for GLASC last Saturday and our focus was dyeing with food coloring.  I really like the fact that food coloring is a pretty safe dye and that you can really get vivid colors.
I dyed it red on Saturday and I ended up with quite a few white spots.  At first I was tempted to leave it as it was however when it dried fully the next day the color was more pinkish rose instead of red.  White spots are one thing, but I did NOT want pink yarn, so back into the dye pot it went!
It has dried fully now and voila!  Red yarn!

Last Wednesday I completed my project in my weaving class.  Unfortunately the class is the same day as church so last Wednesday was my last class.  When I put the warp on the loom my idea was to weave a shawl out of hand spun yarn.  I wanted a simple plain weave so that the pattern did not overshadow the beauty of the hand spun.  I got the yarn at an estate sale in Santa Barbara County and put it in my stash until I found a good use.  The warp (which I also got at the same sale) was pre-cut as the sale was from a weaving teacher who had passed away.  I did not realize that the shawl would end up so long.  I don't know why it did not occur to me.  Duh, long warp = long project.

With the length of weaving folded double I would still have a long enough shawl.  Of course my classmates came to my rescue!  They said make a ruana!  A ruana it is.  When I complete it I will post pictures.  I am including a picture of the weaving below.


No comments:

Post a Comment